The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, May 19, 2024

September 20 - 23, 1989

 

Wednesday, September 20, 1989

 

A good cloudy and heavy rainy day. Esther and I made two squash pies and one pumpkin. Zak called. Esther and Billie gone to Norway shopping this morning. We have had very good heavy rain for David’s well today. Hugo is coming nearer. It has touched the mainland of US. Now Florida coast etc. headed to Georgia and the Carolinas. Esther made a good hamburger delicious for supper. Carmen came home today. Kim met her in Portland, they had an appointment. Billie and I watched the TV shows.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 21, 1989

 

Nice and clear when we got up this morning. Esther has made a lot of cookies. Zak here for breakfast. Carmen, Kim and Brogan here also. I didn’t do much. I fixed my dress and a dish towel that was fraying out. Zack here in late evening and fixed his tractor. Carmen painted up to the new house. Billie watched soaps in PM. I did too.

 

 

 

Friday, September 22, 1989

 

When we got up it was raining and foggy. I got the reports on TV about the hurricane. It did a bad job in South Carolina. Charleston. As it comes North it isn’t so bad. I done my hair. Es and Billie down town. Got some groceries and Billie got his haircut. Zak down for breakfast. Carmen Kim and Brogan gone to Norway in PM for a little while. Betty and Billie got Betty’s pullets in today, the wings clipped and all.

 

Saturday, September 23, 1989

 

Well the hurricane didn’t hit us at all today. It was foggy and rainy when we got up. It cleared off in forenoon for a little while. Then it got cloudy. David came for coffee and visited. Carmen and Brogan came and also Betty. Carmen, Brogan gone out with Zenya over to Norway etc. This has been a long dreary day. Nothing to do. We baked beans. Es made a cake. I baked some bread. We bought the loaves for baking. Billie and Susan was here for supper. They both enjoyed it very much.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment