The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, May 2, 2024

July 16 - 19, 1989

 

Sunday, July 16, 1989

 

Foggy when we got up. It cleared away in middle of forenoon. It became sunny and nice. Not too hot. I went up to Twin Oaks with Carmen and Brogan, Betty and Walt and Zack. No one else there, the dogs. Zak and Walt up for coffee. Not much going on of interest today. David came down and helped Billie fixed the tractor. He visited a long while after he got the job done. A man came to look at the Farm all tractor. I wish he would take it also a couple stopped and looked at the Case.

 

 

 

Monday, July 17, 1989

 

Foggy in a.m. when we got up. It cleared away a little later and became sunny. I did my wash, regular work. Carmen and Betty went to Norway then on to New Hampshire and got plants. Zak went with them and Brogan. Kim made us a visit which I was pleased. Billie to Dr. Goldenhar for his nail trims. Betty got me some cards and a baking Pyrex dish today.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 18, 1989

 

Kind of a foggy hazy day. I didn’t do much except I did the ironing. Made a pudding. I cooked (?) for a potato salad for supper, had stuffed eggs. Zak and Kim down to North Windham. Kim had a new hairdo permanent. Zak got some clothes. Carmen and Brogan went and got my groceries. She worked in Betty’s flower gardens. Does every night mostly. Betty and Dorothea out on their walk. Called in here. Billie took his truck down and got it fixed, it was exhaust. It had a guarantee on it so it didn’t cost him anything. Betty brought up some snaps for me to look at. I love to see them. Carmen brought me a box of Russell Stover’s. Thoughtful of her.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 19, 1989

 

Foggy again when we got up, it burned off. Carmen and Billie to North Windham. Billie got some pants and socks. Carmen to do shopping. Brogan came up also Kim called. Zack to the Dr. in Portland to check his nervous condition etc. etc. I looked at snapshots Betty brought up. Billie and Carmen home around 130 or after.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment