The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 24, 2024

October 10 - 12, 1989

 

Tuesday, October 10, 1989 Heat at the new house

 

A nice day except awful cold. David here this morning for coffee. He helped Billie to check the antifreeze etc. Well there is heat in the new house today and they got the septic system at the new house today. Kim has been working at her place today. She has got so much to do. Betty will help her tomorrow. I went up to see the house today and to see the new chicken house and its tenants, Noodle and Soup. Also Billie went up to see it today.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 11, 1989

 

A rainy day when we got up. It cleared in late PM. I done up the work. Made a custard pie, baked the apple pie Es made and molasses cookies. I was busy all forenoon. I also made rolls. In late PM Dorothea and Fern came than David and Elsa. They enjoyed the supper very much. Baked ham with milk, squash, tomatoes, baked sweet potatoes, custard pie, cookies and apple pie. They visited in eve. Betty, Carmen and Zak all pitched in and helped Kim to get moved in. She will stay there tonight.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 12, 1989

 

Nice and sunny when we got up. Zack dropped in this morning all dressed up. Carmen and Brogan called. I went up to the new house. The girls papered their new hallway, it looks so nice. A beautiful home. Kim stayed in her brand-new home last night. Today I went down to Betty’s and we went to the Heritage Room and looked all the things over as I do twice a year. I love to see all the things. Very interested in it all. It is so nice the way Betty has put that altogether. She did a great thing. I brought home the lapboard, it is handy.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment