The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, May 5, 2024

July 28 - 31, 1989 Nanny Home From Hospital

 

Friday, July 28, 1989 cooler

 

This has been a much cooler day. Had a shower or two. Some clouds. It has been a much nicer and more comfortable day than the past three or four days. I came home today from NCM hospital. After two days in there sick.  I was quite sick for two days. I was very glad to get home. Betty came for me. I took it easy. Carmen here doing her regular work. Also 1 million other things. She prepared the best supper. Spinach, peas, mashed potatoes, fish and brownies. VERY GOOD. Brogan has been so cute all day. Kim was here this morning. Betty, Zack, Dorothea, Lorraine and Walt all called. Carmen to her Dr. today. She has got to enter the hospital August 7 for her operation. What a big one it will be. I will be so glad when it is over.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 29, 1989 ZACK GOT HIS TRUCK BACK TODAY

 

Another nice sunny day, on the coolish side. I got up about 6:30. Billie got the breakfast after he came from the bathroom. I didn’t do anything for work. Carmen came up and done the housework. Betty got our lunch. Dorothea came and got our supper and washed the dishes. Zack and Brogan was here. I have eaten a lot today. I have taken those old pills. Kim has gone to her class reunion over to Shawnee Peak. I’m so glad she looked so nice. Carmen going out to a pig roast with Joey, Dennis’s sister. Well at last Zak got his truck back today. I’m so glad for him.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 30, 1989

 

A quite nice day. Today Carmen had a date with Tom (blank). They went up to camp and what a calamity that was. She enjoyed the guys company. It was so funny. Kim had the day off until Tuesday. She had a date.

 

 

 

Monday, July 31, 1989

 

Very nice day. I did the wash. Carmen and Brogan came up. Kim came up for a little while. I worked at the desk. Zack dropped in a minute. Betty, Kim and Carmen over to Zak’s house getting it ready to paper. Dorothea called this p.m. Betty and Carmen here at suppertime and helped etc. Billie picked string beans and cukes today I called Barbara for an appointment. Got it for tomorrow. Zak worked a dite tonight.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment