The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

October 2 - 5, 1989

 

Monday, October 2, 1989

 

A cloudy dreary rainy day. I did the washing. I did up all the ironing. I prepared a good Swiss steak dinner. Carmen, Brogan and Zack here for supper. I made a chocolate pudding. I watched the PM soaps. David came down, they had coffee and he made a long visit. Carmen worked at the house, got all settled. Kim did her varnishing, done.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 3, 1989

 

Well it was cloudy then it cleared away and was nice and sunny. I went to Norway with Betty. She went to Ames and shop and Save. Got home at 3 PM. Carmen and Kim went shopping.  Kim got a new rug for her living room. And Zak. No one here for supper. Dorothea and Dave over to the Fryeburg Fair in evening.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 4, 1989

 

A dite cloudy at times. I been busy all day. I done up the work. Carmen, Kim, Zack, Brogan and Betty called. They are working down to the house today. Carmen is about all settled in her part. Kim is coming along good with her house.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 5, 1989

 

A beautiful day. I done up the work. I washed. Carmen and Brogan called. I went to town with Carmen. Kim and Brogan over to North Bridgton post office. We went up to see the new house. Carmen is very well settled in. Betty called this p.m. We watch soaps in PM. A beautiful day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment