The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 3, 2024

July 20 - 23, 1989 Daddy's 61st Birthday

 

Thursday, July 20, 1989 oil $76.49 Walt celebrated his 61st birthday

 

A nice day, sunny and some thin clouds in and out. It was quite mild. It clouded up. I did some strawberries and washed and cleaned the refrigerator. We went to Oxford and got vegetables. In PM Billie done the lawns. Didn’t get them quite done, there was heavy rain showers. Today the Hortons celebrated Walt’s 61st birthday. Carmen out on a date with Ian Egan. The third date with him. She and Brogan here in evening. She was full of it. Another one of Walt’s lots may go.

 

 

 

Friday, July 21, 1989 Milan’s 70th birthday

 

Clear and sunny. I washed, done regular work. Carmen came and cleaned up the house. Billie finished the lawns. Watched soaps. Carmen took Brogan over to stay with her father tonight. Carmen has freedom for a few hours. They been working on the house some this week. They had a shower for Debbie last night at Joy’s. Betty, Joy and Dorothea up to camp. Dorothea called here for a short time in evening. Kim called today for a little while.

 

 

Saturday, July 22, 1989

 

A very nice sunny morning when we got up. And all all day. I didn’t do much. I looked over my box of clippings I had. Got the papers read. A few other odd jobs. I washed floors this morning and that is the only extra work I did. Billie done some catching up jobs. David here for coffee. David was kind of down at the dumps this morning. He is tired. Carmen gone for the day to the beach. She is getting her tan. Brogan came home from her father’s exhausted. She plays so hard and going all the time.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 23, 1989

 

Another clear nice sunny day. Walt up for coffee. My pen is going. We had a cookout up to camp today. Quite nice day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment