The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

July 12 - 15, 1989

 

Wednesday, July 12, 1989

 

Carmen to Lewiston again for x-rays. She left at 7:30. I froze a few jars of strawberries. Billie down to get his truck checked also to the grain mill. He got an appointment for Tuesday to get it fixed. Watched soaps this PM. I cooked a chicken stewed and had green peas with it. Very good. Also new potatoes.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 13, 1989 Brogan got her hair cut

 

It was a nice day until about 4 PM. Today I done up regular work, hulled strawberries. I watched some programs. I froze some rhubarb. Billie mowed lawns. Weeks called, he had some hay ready. He and Jason went and got it. Betty got a dog house at Ilan’s for Kimmy’s dog. Kim called this p.m. Carmen, Brogan and Betty called. Billie finished rest of the lawns after supper. Zack here today. He may get his truck done today.

 

 

 

Friday, July 14, 1989

 

A nice day. I did regular work. I washed. Carmen came and cleaned. Debbie and her girls called. Brogan liked having them to play with. The house looks nice after she got it cleaned up. We watched TV soaps. Dorothea called in evening. Betty here in PM, brought some snaps.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 15, 1989

 

A nice day, mostly sunny. I done up my regular work. David down for coffee. I made rolls and a cake. Baked white beans. Carmen, Brogan and Zack down to the beach yesterday. They enjoyed it very much. People down to see Walt about the tractor and about the lots. I read my old diaries some more. I’m up to 1974.

No comments:

Post a Comment