The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, March 31, 2024

March 21 - 23, 1989 Billie's 58th Birthday and Wallpapering!

 

Tuesday, March 21, 1989 Permanent

 

Well got up this morning and snow everywhere and cloudy. It began to clear quite early. I got the breakfast. Took a bath, went down to Barbara’s and got my permanent. Carmen and Brogan here for supper. Carmen took me down to Barbara’s and came and got me.

 

 

Wednesday, March 22, 1989  BILLIE 58 My Bedroom

 

Got my bedroom all papered. It is beautiful. Carmen and I got the room cleaned yesterday. Today Betty and Dorothea came and papered. They did a very good job. Brogan up here also. She is cute one. Tonight we went down to Betty’s for a very good steak supper. Walt cooked the steaks. They were delicious. He got $140 in money. Had a nice loaf of banana bread made by Kim. He had cake and ice cream at Betty’s. Dorothea came for ice cream and cake.

 




 

Thursday, March 23, 1989 Billie’s room

 

A nice sunny day, warmer. Betty and Dorothea here and started the papering in Billie’s room. Worked until about 11 AM then she came back at 7:30 and they papered rest of it. Carmen and Brogan up after supper. Got done papering at about 1:30.

 

 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment