The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, June 23, 2023

May 20 - 23, 1986

 

 

Tuesday, May 20, 1986

 

Well it was cloudy most of the day. I dite of sunshine. I done regular work then I did the refrigerator (defrosted). I did the ironing. Then I went for a ride with Betty over to Otisfield, Harrison, Oxford. We called at Carmen’s. Also called to see if everything is all right at Kim’s. Came home, had a roast beef supper, very (blank).

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 21, 1986

 

Another miserable day. I done work, made a rhubarb pie. Cooked a ham dinner. Billie out and in all day. Bill reading all day. Kim here to watch program in a.m.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 22, 1986

 

I done regular work. Then I worked at my desk. Dorothea called, she is going to get groceries. Also Kim, she is getting a few things. Another miserable day. Betty H and Betty S are working over to camp cleaning. Helen Fleck also.

 

 

 

Friday, May 23, 1986

 

Another of those awful miserable days. Will the end of this horrible weather ever come? I did a big wash. Put some things away. I haven’t done too much today. I rode up to the shelter for a little while. Betty S, Betty H, Zack and Bill up there working today. Billie to Dr. Petrone at NC for a bone scan. Zack and Billie took the elevator down this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment