The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 28, 2023

June 8 - 11, 1986

Sunday, June 8, 1986

 

Well it was cloudy, rain and late in PM sun came out for afternoon. It also got hot and muggy. Milan and Walt called this a.m., had coffee. Zack called in evening. He took Cassie out and played with her. Dorothea and David called at Jeff’s in PM to show him the new car.

 

 

 

Monday, June 9, 1986 SUNNY

 

Well it was a nice sunny day. How nice it was. The wind blowed hard all day. I washed, defrosted refrigerator. I cleaned the mops etc. I watched the soaps. Well today Kim got her plane tickets for her halfway around the world. A week from tonight she will be on her way. Billie been to town and to Fryeburg. Milan, Betty and Kim called today.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 10, 1986 NEW WATCH, Kim here for her last supper before she goes, Carmen looked nice

 

A beautiful day. I done regular work. Bill took me to town. I came home, washed. Made a chocolate layer cake for supper. Started roast pork. Kim up for her going away supper. She enjoyed it very much and we was very pleased to have her. Dorothea called late PM then she stopped on her way home from exercise class.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 11, 1986

 

Well another miserable day, raining when we got up. It has been cloudy and rainy most of the day. It broke away some. I did Kim sweaters and did the ironing. Kim here for breakfast. She done a lot of odd jobs, we ironed etc. I’m so glad she came because she won’t be here too much longer. Then she is going way way off. Betty and I up to camp and to see a cottage. Milan and Betty called, also Betty C and Carmen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment