The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 22, 2023

May 16 - 19, 1986

 

Friday, May 16, 1986 all done housecleaning

 

Well, kind of a cloudy day, we finished the housecleaning, odds and end jobs. Betty and I down to North Windham, done some shopping. Betty did get curtain rods and a new chair cover. Got home about one. We watched programs in PM. I had a fish supper.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 17, 1986

 

A nice sunny day. I done up the housework. Made rolls and a cake. Washed the floors. Zack got the drapes put up on the breezeway. He did a good job. Betty and Charlene called a little while today. Zack over to Carmen’s and helped them move refrigerator. Kim to a Cambodian party tonight at Portland. Sue Paul came and got her. Zack over to play games with Eddie while she was gone.

 



 

 

Sunday, May 18, 1986 hot 80s, EDDIE LEFT FOR HOME

 

This is been a very hot day. Sunny. Got the work done up, read rest of the papers. Kim and Eddie called. Eddie on his way back to Marblehead to work on the fishing boats this summer before he leaves to go to the MM Academy. He came to say goodbye to Kassie and the rest of us. Kim took him to Portland to meet the bus. She hated to see him go. She has plans to go away for the summer. Carmen and Dennis called, they came to get the lawn mower to mow their lawns. Also Zack worked all day mowing these then went over to help Carmen and Dennis. Milan called. Walt up for coffee. Dorothea and David came and made a visit. Also Betty and Walt in evening.

 

 

 

Monday, May 19, 1986 PERMANENT, 75 to 90° Hot

 

Another one of those hot days. I got up,done up the work. Got ready to go to get my hair done. Milan and Betty called before it was time for me to go. Bill took me down. Betty came after me. When I got home I went down to watch Days of Our Lives at Betty’s, Carmen and Kim. Kim and I watched it. Carmen had to go home. Betty got her porch done. Kim painted the floor. In evening I went down and called at Milan and Betty’s. It looks very nice down there. I did my washing in PM.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment