The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 1, 2023

March 1 - 4, 1986

 

Saturday, March 1, 1986 Billie did not get home

 

A very nice sunny day. I done up all the regular work and Saturday extras. Made bread, rolls, custard and baked some beans. Expected Billie to come home but he didn’t. Carmen called on way to work. Zack up a little while. Hope Billie gets home tomorrow.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 2, 1986

 

Another beautiful day. Kim came for breakfast. She visited. Also Walt came up and had coffee. I worked at my desk. I wrote to Esther and done the bills.

 

 

 

Monday, March 3, 1986 Billie HOME

 

A very nice day. I have been busy all day. I did a wash today and other odd things. Carmen called. Kim called this morning before she went to work. Milan and Betty came. Billie called, he can come home. So Milan went right down and got him and Billie want ready when he got there. Also had to go to the drugstore. Billie was glad to get back home. His foot is better but got to be very careful.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 4, 1986

 

A partly cloudy day but a lot of sun, very mild. I got up early, got my breakfast, done up the work. Milan and Betty came, we went to Mountain Valley Mall and did grocery shopping. Came home. Betty CH came, we put the groceries away. She rearranged the cupboards. Kim came. She went to work over to the Hazen House at North Bridgton. Betty and I over to Carmen’s, she is sick abed. Unable to work today. Bill to the hospital for sugar checkup. Billie doing quite well. Dorothea called late this PM to see Billie.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment