The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, June 11, 2023

April 6 - 9, 1986

 

Sunday, April 6, 1986

 

Got up about 7 AM. Got the breakfast, done up the work. Milan came before we got through breakfast. I finished looking at the photo albums. Betty called, wanted to know if I wanted to ride up to New Hampshire with her. I got a few groceries. It has been a very dreary day, cloudy, rain and snow. Milan and Betty called in PM. Carmen lost a spark plug out of her car. Bill over there to help her fix it. It didn’t fit so they will have to do it tomorrow. She and Kim at Betty and Walt’s for supper. Had Kim’s birthday. I made a oyster stew for supper. Kim is getting her house cleaned.

 


 

 

Monday, April 7, 1986

 

This is awful weather. I done regular work, washed, watched soaps. Got supper to going. Carmen came this morning to get Bill. They got her car going. She had breakfast. Called in on way to work. Kim over to her house today to clean. She and Betty went down to see Billie. Also Bill, Milan, Carmen called to see him.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 8, 1986 another miserable day

 

This is awful weather. It is what we will have all rest of the week. I done regular work, ironed etc. Watched shows in PM.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 9, 1986

 

We’re still having rain and snow flurries. Billie still in the hospital. He had a lot of company. Bill don’t feel very good. I watched TV shows. Made a pudding.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment