The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 5, 2023

March 17 - 20, 1986

 

Monday, March 17, 1986 THE BEST DAY YET

 

A very nice sunny and clear day, mild. I got up early and did part of the washing. Made a Jell-O pudding. Got ready, went over to Carmen’s to help get her cat free home cleaned. We did a very good job. Betty Smith went and she is such a good helped. Did a lot. Came home, finished watching TV soaps and got supper.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 18, 1986

 

Well a quite nice day. Some sunshine. It got cloudy. Betty and I over to Carmen’s and finished cleaning her house. She has got to do the rug and put her curtains up. I came home and made a roast pork supper. I’m glad we got Carmen’s house clean. It looks so nice. We sure hope it will help her asthma condition. Dennis was at Carmen’s for a little while.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 19, 1986

 

It has rained hard all day. Carmen, Betty and I to Norway to shop. Gone most of the day. The roads are bumpy holes and muddy everywhere. Carmen and Betty got some things for Carmen’s house. Looked at baby things. Betty Smith passed her drivers test today. She is so pleased. Carmen’s spring housecleaning is all done.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 20, 1986

 

I got up early, got my work done up. Defrosted refrigerator, changed beds, etc. Kim and Eddie came. Eddie is working on the car. Kim, Carmen and I went to Conway New Hampshire after Carmen’s (? Camera). They bought some blouses. I came home, watched my shows. Billie to the Dr. (Petrone) for his toe. It isn’t healing. He has got to go to the hospital Saturday to see Dr. Doyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment