The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

January 4 - 7, 1986

 

Saturday, January 4, 1986

 

A nice day after the bad storm of yesterday. Phonie came and plow us out. Did a good job. David came. Milan and Betty called. After they left Billie and I went to Norway to grocery shop. It was nice and sunny. Roads had been plowed good so it want too bad.

 

 

 

Sunday, January 5, 1986

 

Didn’t get up too early. It was snowing. Walt called, had doughnut and coffee. I worked at desk. Didn’t do much. I got the bills all made out. Carmen had to go to work tonight, it wasn’t as bad as last night.

 

 

 

Monday, January 6, 1986 Carmen had a date

 

On the cold side. I got up early. Got my washing to going. Bill had to go down to the hospital for blood. I got a lot done with Bill gone. Billie was out and in all day. Carmen has been busy all day getting ready for her boyfriend to come to visit her tonight. Bill got home from hospital at about 7 PM. They got the windows in at Kim and Eddie’s today.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 7, 1986 Billie to Dr.

 

We are having some cold weather now. The sun helps during the day to warm up. I did my ironing, made a fish chowder. I had upset stomach this morning. Milan, Betty came Dorothea, Kim and Carmen later. They talked, we had coffee and lunch. Carmen enjoyed her boyfriend, they had a good time. Billie’s toe was very bad. So he decided he had better go to the Dr. now instead of waiting for his appointment. He wanted him to go into the hospital. He lanced it for him and got the pus and poison out. He got to see him tomorrow. Dorothea called Bill’s doctor. He has got to go to see him Thursday. Kim got me some things at the store.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment