The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 19, 2023

January 12 - 15, 1986

 

Sunday, January 12, 1986

 

It was on the cloudy side until mid-forenoon then it cleared. Became sunny, not too cold but a little wind. I got work done up. Walt up for coffee. I got ready, went down to Milan’s. We tried to call Esther, but no answer. They all must have been to church. While I was down there Dorothea and David called. I came home, made a cheese ham loaf and a chocolate cake. Billie over to Carmen and Kim’s. Carmen called. She had a date with a guy she met over to Country Way Restaurant.

 

 

 

Monday, January 13, 1986 Cold and Windy

 

It has been cold and windy, it was sunny. Past two days of been nice. It clouded up and snow and blowed tonight. Carmen called me about suppertime. She told me she had just got a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Dennis. She was so it excited and happy. She called in on her way home in the awful storm so we could see them and her mother.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 14, 1986

 

A nice day, it was awfully cold. I done up the work. Barry Richardson came and put the shelf in the kitchen for the new colored TV we got for Christmas. Also he put railings up in the garage. Milan was here this morning also. Bill is coming along okay and Billie’s toe is stable. Dorothea called in late PM. Carmen and Betty dropped in. Carmen is excited and happy with her new boyfriend. Dorothea out with friends at a party.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 15, 1986

 

A nice day but awful cold. I done up my regular work. And worked at the desk etc. Carmen had a lunch date with Dennis, her new found boyfriend. It has been so cold all day. Billie’s toe about the same. Bill is doing alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment