The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

March 7 - 10, 1982

 

Sunday, March 7, 1982

 

A very miserable day. It was cloudy, rain and snow. I read rest of magazines. I wrote to Es and Carmen. Kim came up this morning. Also David called. Zak and a friend called. Also Walt came up for the rubbish. Billie down to Fern’s. She is depressed due to the weather and boredom. Bill is about the same. He is doing some better. Still week and logy. This miserable weather has a lot to do with it. Dorothea has a cold. She called in evening. Had to take Susan to the movies, bad traveling. Rain and a cold. I thought she had rather stayed at home. They got all done at Dorothea’s, the floors.

 

 

 

Monday, March 8, 1982

 

A pretty good day. I defrosted my refrigerator. I did a big wash. Bill a dite logy today. Billie busy going here and there at Fern’s, down town. Dorothea got a bad cold. I got a letter off to Carmen and Esther.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 9, 1982

 

Another one of those awful dreary days, sun out a little while this a.m. then got cloudy. I did my ironing and cleaned up the house. Bill got a haircut. It was so long. David called in a.m. He is getting better. I finished looking at the albums of Betty’s.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 10, 1982

 

Well when we got up it was nice and clear, the sun came up. But at about mid-forenoon it began to haze up and by early PM it began to cloud up. By 11 PM it began to snow. Now that is the weather pattern we have had all winter and summer and fall. No sun, either cloudy or rain. I done some odd and end jobs. Dorothea cleaned and settled her den. I’m so glad for her. She got her floors done so far. Betty and kids went to Mechanic Falls to the dentist. Walt home all day. Bill seems much better. I finished my scraps. Kim called in evening.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment