The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

December 18 - 20, 1981 Zak Made The Basketball Team

 

Friday, December 18, 1981

 

It has been a cloudy and snowy day. I done my washing. Then Betty came, we went to town. I picked up my clock radio I won. Went to the PROP, signed up for fuel assistance. Then we went to the bank. I came home, ironed, cleaned up the house. Carmen went with us. Bill plowed some.

 

 

 

Saturday, December 19, 1981 Zak made basketball team

 

A quite nice day. I changed the beds, swept, dusted, washed windows, made bread and rolls, a cake. Betty and Walt up, we, Betty and I made out the menu for Christmas dinner. Today Zak tried out for the basketball team. He made the team, is to play forward. I wish him the best of luck. I’m so anxious to see him play his first game January 9th. Billie went down to Limerick with Howard Millett. Joy and girls called on us.

 

 

 

Sunday, December 20, 1981 10 above

 

After some cloudiness this morning it cleared and became a beautiful day. Sunny and the sun made it nice and mild. It was a very cold night. Billie up early, with Howard Millett up to Groveton, New Hampshire. Howard is looking for calves. I done up my work. Then I made double batches of fudge, chocolate, brown sugar or penuche. Bill down town to get paper. Then he sat here all rest of the day, then he went up to Dorothea’s a little while. David called. Dorothea got stuck in snow this morning down by Walt’s driveway. The little calf is doing well, very pretty. Betty called a minute today.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment