The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

January 13 - 15, 1982

Wednesday, January 13, 1982 A bad plane accident in Washington DC

 

Partly cloudy. I done my work done and did some washing. Then we went to town because of the threats of heavy snow coming tomorrow. So we went. Carmen, Delores and I then I came home, made Carmen’s fudge and finished the rest of the wash. Only a half day of school today, so Kim and Carmen to town in PM. I watched soaps as much as I could. Billie down to NCM hospital for a urine test. I hope his sugar will be okay. A bad plane accident Washington DC. It crashed in the frozen Potomac River. It is awful.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 14, 1982

 

Well just another one of those cloudy stormy days. This is the kind of weather we have now most of the time. We are much much luckier than the Midwestern part of the country and the south. It has been cold and snow but not any suffering. I ironed, done up my regular work and made two batches of chocolate fudge. I made one for Laurie. Dorothea called a minute. Lloyd is gone three years today. Fern is quite blue.

 

Projects at Joy's


 

 

 

 

Friday, January 15, 1982

 

A partly cloudy day, still on the cool side. I done up my wash. I did an ironing. I washed the windows. Billie in and out. Bill down to Betty’s and called at Dorothea’s. Carmen and Betty cleaned up their house then Carmen came up in afternoon. Betty and Walt out for supper. Kim worked. Betty and Carmen and Zak, Joy and girls and Dorothea all went to the movies tonight was their new movie passes. A Christmas present from Walt.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment