The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 23, 2022

February 23 - 26, 1982

 

Tuesday, February 23, 1982

 

Well another dreary day. It was cloudy. A little clearing in forenoon. It is 3:30, no word from the hospital. Fern having a bad day. I did the ironing. David called. In evening Betty, Kim, Dorothea and I called at the hospital. Bill looks very bad. He isn’t at all good. After we got back we called at Fern’s. She isn’t well either.

 

 

 

Wednesday, February 24, 1982

 

A pretty nice day. I made a tuna fish casserole. I swept the whole house. Betty came up and helped. Billie put some water pipes in the barn. It is quite a cold day. Went to the hospital in evening.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 25, 1982 windy, choose to

 

Well this has been a very cold and windy day. I done my regular work. Washed etc. Billie and Heidi took their walk down across the field. Very cold. I watched soaps in PM. Billie called on Fern then at Bills. He is suffering terrible with the gout now. Betty, Kim and I called tonight to see him. He is quite discouraged. Today they began Dorothea’s floors. We called to see them on way home from hospital.

 

 

 

Friday, February 26, 1982 nice and sunny but cold and windy

 

Still cold and windy. I wrote to Carmen. Also washed windows, also other jobs. Billie down to the hospital to see Bill. He is some improved, gout nearly all gone. He had solid food today. They worked at Dorothea’s again today on the floors. In evening Betty and I to hospital to see Bill. He is doing better. Zak to a junior high dance tonight. Also Vince went with him. Kim babysitting.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment