The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

December 21 - 24, 1981 Christmas Eve At Nanny's

 

Monday, December 21, 1981

 

Well it was a very nice day. I got up early, did my washing and then I went down to Betty’s. She and I made the cornballs. She made her fudge and her pumpkin bread. I came home, washed my hair and put the rinse on it. Got supper to going, had a good supper. Carmen and Billie to Norway today. I ironed in PM.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 22, 1981

 

When we got up it was cloudy then it began to snow. Then it cleared and a very nice day. I went down, got my hair set. Then I went, done my shopping. Came home, made a loaf of Graham nut bread and made sloppy Joe’s for supper. Betty came to town and got me. She has Fern there for the day to visit. Carmen came up this PM. She and Billie wrapped a gift.

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 23, 1981

 

I been busy all day. Cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing etc. Billie and Carmen to Norway. Also to Bridgton. Billie busy.

 

 

 

Thursday, December 24, 1981 A fair day

 

On the last stretch. I’ve been busy all day getting the house cleaned up, washed floors etc. Windows, made pies and rolls and bread. All came out fair. Then cooked a fish chowder for supper. No onion or potato. How did I forget to put it in. Quite disgusting. It would have been so good. Fern up for supper. Kim up in PM helping me to get things ready etc. Then after supper Kim came up and she helped to get the table set up with the snacks etc. They all came, we opened our gifts etc. We all got a very nice and useful gifts. Dorothea, Jeff, Dawn and Fern were here. Fern stayed all night.

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment