The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, April 4, 2022

December 15 - 17, 1981 Carmen Home From College

 


 





Tuesday, December 15, 1981 NO SCHOOL

 

Well we got snow and rain last night and snow so the traveling was dangerous so no school. I done my ironing early and I made a apple pie, cookies. I worked on Christmas cards, wrote letters to send with the cards. Bill and Billie in and out. Bill and Kim plowed snow. Billie shoveled here and at Fern’s.

 

 


 

Wednesday, December 16, 1981 NO SCHOOL, started furnace fire today

 

What a day, snow changed to rain then back to snow and heavy wind. I done up the regular work then I finished the cards, got some off. Then Betty came up and she wrapped up all the rest of the Christmas gifts. Kim came up to. I was glad she got them wrapped. Bill got his haircut today. Kim and Betty called, they brought the cards up, very good. Today Bill started the wood fire in the furnace.

 

 

 

Thursday, December 17, 1981 CALF BORN, CHRISTMAS TREE IN, CARMEN HOME

 

Well, it’s been quite a day. First we got some sun after bad cloudy weather. Today about 11:30 AM the Jersey, Ellie May, had her calf. A very pretty little heifer calf. Betty, Delores and I went to town. Billie washed the windows on the outside. They brought up a Christmas tree when we got home. I got the room ready and Bill brought the tree in. After supper Betty, Kim and Zak came up to decorate the tree. Then a big surprise. Carmen boomed in and it was a big surprise. We was so glad to see her. She has all her exams taken. Dorothea came later. I won a clock radio.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment