The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, April 17, 2022

February 1 - 4, 1982

 

Monday, February 1, 1982 NO SCHOOL

 

A miserable day for the first day of the month. It was raining and freezing. No school. I done my washing and ironing. In PM it began to clear and at suppertime the sunset was beautiful. Bill and Ilan fishing for the first time this season.

 

 

 

Tuesday, February 2, 1982

 

Well it has been kind of fairer or was sunny till late PM then it hazed up some. I done my regular work. Betty called in a.m. I worked at the desk. Billie in and out. Bill and Ilan fishing. This was a quite good Calmus Day

 

 

 

Wednesday, February 3, 1982 NO SCHOOL, COW BRED

 

It has been a very rainy slippery day. There wasn’t any school anywhere. It rained hard all day, was very bad traveling. Not many cars out. I done a few jobs. Did some figuring, got Carmen’s card ready to go.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 4, 1982 permanent, 43° above this morning at 5:30

 

Well, at last we have a very nice spring like day. It was 43 about when we got up at 5:30. The snow and water dripped and ran today. A very nice day. I went down and got a perm today. Betty picked me up. We went and done some shopping at the AG store. Billie done it at Warren’s.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment