The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 28, 2022

March 15 - 18, 1982

Monday, March 15, 1982

 

Well we have had a nice clear all day. It was cold and windy. Very nice and sunny. I did the washing, went down to Betty’s for a little while. Carmen came up here, she and Billie went to Norway and called to see Arlene Mayberry Stiles. Then Carmen called in here. She went down to Saunders Dowell Mill. She filled out an application. She called at Fern’s. Carmen is worried about getting work. Said she may have to stay right up there to the school and work.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 16, 1982

 

Sunny when we got up again. I did my ironing and a few odd jobs then I watched TV programs in PM. Carmen called. It is so good she is home. I hate the thought of her going away or out into the world. Will miss her so much. But she has to make a life for herself. Her childhood days are gone. Kim goes next then Zak.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 17, 1982

 

Not too bad a day, some clouds. Betty, Kim, Carmen, and Lisa to Portland to the orthodontist. Also they did Kim’s birthday shopping. I cooked up pot roast supper and had Walt and Zak up for supper. I also made a blueberry pie and filled cookies. They got home about 6:30 from Portland.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 18, 1982

 

Well a pretty nice day. I done up my work. Went to town with Betty. Fern down to get her hair done. Delores went shopping. It was mild. I came home. Billie washed my windows outside then he cleaned the cars. I washed the windows in them. I washed my kitchen floors. Carmen up tonight for a baked ham supper.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment