The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 16, 2022

January 28 - 31, 1982

 

Thursday, January 28, 1982 0° when I got up

 

It was milder today. I done my regular work. Worked at the desk. I cleaned the kitchen stove. Didn’t do very much.

 

 

 

Friday, January 29, 1982

 

A very nice sunny day, it was mild. I washed windows, swept, dusted etc. I did a wash and ironed. Bill and Billie out to town etc. Zak came up tonight after school and to spend the night. Betty and Walt are entertaining friends. Kim stayed down to go to the ballgame. She had a friend to babysit for her.

 

 

 

Saturday, January 30, 1982

 

Well it was sunny than clouded up late in PM. It snowed off and on. I done my Saturday work. Zak watched TV all morning. Dorothea and Dave went to Vermont up to his mother’s. Also they visited with his sister and grandmother. His mother gave him a few pieces of furniture. They got home from Vermont at about 9:30. Zak went home about 4:30. Kim worked late tonight babysitting.

 

 

 

Sunday, January 31, 1982

 

Cloudy all day. I done up the work wrote a couple letters, one to Cliff and started Carmen’s. It is been a miserable cloudy day. It began to snow and turned to rain at dark. Kim called. Betty and Walt up also Tom and Charlene called. Joy came after her milk.

 

 

 

A bad cold winter. A lot of snow. Bill isn’t very good. Man came from Alaska to see about renting the shelter. Carmen back to UMO after the Christmas recess. Kim has a job babysitting.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment