The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 1, 2022

December 3 - 6, 1981

Thursday, December 3, 1981 $339.30 $149.20 equals $488.50

 

Well, all kinds of weather. I done up my work, to town shopping. We had a lot of running around to do so we didn’t get home very early. I washed, got supper to going. Watched shows on TV. Bill’s license came today.

 

 

 

Friday, December 4, 1981

 

A nice day. I washed windows. I made a pie. Then I worked at my desk rest of the day. Got the bills already to go. Bill down to Betty’s most of the p.m. Billie in and out all day. Kim went to the basketball game tonight. She had a good time. She called on us in the evening. Betty called also. Then she went up to Joy’s. LRHS won again tonight.

 

 

 

Saturday, December 5, 1981 SNOW CAME TONIGHT

 

It was clear when we got up but it got cloudy. I have been busy all day. I got the cards off to Scotland. I changed the beds. Swept. Betty came up and David called and Zak came up, had breakfast. Watched TV for a while. I made rolls and a date filled pies. I washed the floors. The Spencer package came today.

 

 

 

 
 
 

 

Sunday, December 6, 1981 First Snow

 

Well this is been a bad day as for weather. Snowed and blowed all day. It was awful. This was the first snow storm of the year. I done up the regular work. In PM I wrapped gifts. Billie picked over some papers. Bill watched TV. A dreary day. Walt and Zak went to the dump. The wind blowed so hard the snow drifted in places. It snowed and blowed all night very hard.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment