The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, August 16, 2021

August 10 -13, 1979

 

Friday, August 10, 1979

 

A cloudy rainy day, some thundershowers in PM. I didn’t do much, went to town in a.m., done regular work. Pa doing well in hospital. Walt to hospital for test etc. Called at Betty’s a few minutes.

 

 

 

Saturday, August 11, 1979

 

Partly cloudy. Not a very good day, sun occasionally. I went to town, got some things at Reny’s on the sale. Zak called. Pa not so good tonight. Bill worked on chairs from Camp Encore Coda. Billie went to Alfred, got some plums.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 12, 1979

 

Rained hard all day. I done up my work, went down to Fern’s to watch the bicycle riders go by. Then I came home, made a salad, went over to Susan’s. Had a very nice turkey dinner. Came home about 5. Hortons, Demings, Quinns, Park, Yates and Crooks, me were there. Keith called on Billie this PM. A miserable rainy day. Bill watched TV all day.

 

 

 

Monday, August 13, 1979 Billie back to work

 

Another cloudy rainy dreary day. Billie went back to work after 2 weeks layoff while they made the shop over. I worked at the desk. It cleared about noon. It was windy. Betty, Joy, Carmen, Kathy, Cindy all to Portland to do their school shopping. I washed after supper tonight.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment