The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

September 8 - 10, 1971 School Begins





Jeff and Zak


Zak looking for a juicy kiss







Wednesday, September 8, 1971 SCHOOL BEGAN TODAY, KIMMY’S FIRST DAY

HOT. A very hot and humid day. I got up early this morning, got my work done than down to Betty’s to see Carmen off the first day of school. She started the third grade this year. She looked as pretty as a picture when she left in her new clothes. I came home, done up my work. Rushed around then went down to see Kimmy get off on her first day of school and her first year. She looked like a doll in her new dress. In p.m. Dorothea and Jeff came up. Jeff looked very nice in his new school clothes. He is a very nice looking guy. First time we had seen him since he got home from Michigan. All three of my school-age grandchildren looked very good. Dorothea, Betty and I made plans for picnic. Dorothea got a lot of vegetables here and at Betty’s.



Thursday, September 9, 1971

Still hot and humid. I done regular work and then went down to Betty’s to babysit while she did her lawns. I got Kimmy ready for school. She looked so cute in her little dress. It was a red and white check today. I washed. Called at Ferns in evening. Bill worked at Helen Jones’s painting.



Friday, September 10, 1971

A nice sunny day, I went down to Betty’s. We went to town, did the shopping. I washed and ironed in PM. Bill worked. Billie worked this past week.


No comments:

Post a Comment