The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, June 13, 2019

July 20 - 22, 1971 Private Lake Fishing


Tuesday, July 20, 1971

A beautiful day. Billie and I got ready. We went to Waterboro  to see a man, who owns a private lake, to see about going down there fishing with the kids. Then we drove to Dorothea’s to have her go to the store, Anderson Littles, to get some clothes for Billie. He bought pants. Went to Zayre’s, got paint for house. When we came home, Carmen and Kim came with us. They had a very good time at Dorothea and Dave’s.



Wednesday, July 21, 1971 got hair set

Another nice hot day. Done up regular work. Bill worked at Jean’s. Billie over to Norway. Kennard went with him. Billie got himself some new shoes, shirts etc. He also got me a pair of new shoes. I went to town with Betty. She took kids down swimming. I went and got my hair set at June’s. I shampooed and put the rinse on.



Thursday, July 22, 1971

A beautiful day. Got up early, got the work done up. The kids, Carmen and Kim, came and we got ready and went to Waterboro. Esther went too. Went down to fish from a private lake. The kids had a good time, also Es, Billie and I enjoyed it. We fished till about one then drove over to Alfred to Leedy’s Restaurant, had a delicious dinner. Very nice ride home, drove around to see some old homes on the hillsides. People were Billie had been with Lawrence to buy cattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment