The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, June 14, 2019

July 23 - 25, 1971 Aunt Ava Estate Inheritance


Friday, July 23, 1971 a beautiful day, $955.15

I got up about 6:30. Bill to work. I got a call from Esther. She said Mr. Lane had our money ready. As soon as I got ready, Billie took me down. I picked up my check from Arnold Lane’s office. To my surprise it was $955.15. What a good feeling that was. We did the grocery shopping etc. Called at Betty’s when we came home. She was very glad we got so much. Lawrence called to see Billie. He had to go mowing up to Chet’s for Lawrence. Lloyd got a Social Security check today for $675.



Saturday, July 24, 1971 Hot

A very hot day. I got up early. I did some ironing, washing, made rolls, did regular work. Down to Betty’s a little while. Kim and Zak up. In p.m. I took a bath. Billie worked all day for Lawrence. Esther here for supper. We went to the races at Norway. It rained, we had to come home.



Sunday, July 25, 1971 Hot

I cooked a chicken for a stewed chicken dinner, peas, shell beans, fresh from the garden, also cukes. Had hot biscuits. Same as Mama used to have when I was a kid. It was very good. Dorothea and family was here. Billie worked for Lawrence in a.m. Cliff home today from his scout hike.



No comments:

Post a Comment