The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, June 22, 2019

August 23 - 26, 1971


Monday, August 23, 1971

Had showers, some thunder this morning. Then it came off very cold and windy. I worked at Betty’s all day. Came home, did a dite of cooking. After supper Billie and I went down and did most of the hens. Billie chopped the heads off, Betty and I cleaned them. Bill worked down there all day working on the back wall under the barn. Betty made root beer.




Tuesday, August 24, 1971

Bill worked at Betty’s and I did too.



Wednesday, August 25, 1971

On the hot side. I worked at Betty’s. She cleaned out her hens to get ready for new ones. We got ready and went to Bar Mill’s. They didn’t have any sex link pullets. So he went to Oxford to Cornwall’s. She bought 18 sex link pullets. Billie, Fern, Lloyd and I went over and got them for her after supper. A friend of Walt’s, Mr. Ed Clifford, came there to stay.



Thursday, August 26, 1971

A pretty good day, I helped Betty. Then Carmen came up to stay here all night. We went to town to do a few errands.

No comments:

Post a Comment