The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, June 21, 2019

August 19 - 22, 1971


Thursday, August 19, 1971 Dorothea went home

A very hot day, muggy skies with haze. I did a wash. Had Zak for forenoon. I washed floors and windows. Called at Betty’s a little while during day. Dorothea left to go home about 9:30 this morning. We all was so glad she came up. She came up Monday, she visited all around. We enjoyed her being here very much. Betty and kids up early this morning. I called at Esther’s in evening. Bill worked at Betty’s all day.



Friday, August 20, 1971

Had showers last night. Good day today. I worked at Betty’s all day. She took care of all the kids clothes, changed their beds around, cleaned up her whole house. Bill worked down there on the barn wall.



Saturday, August 21, 1971

A nice hot sunny day. Betty, Zak and I down to Dorothea’s to get bread and donuts. I did my shopping. Bill worked at Walt’s. Walt worked at Portland most of the day. Bill took his new car to garage for first 500 mile checkup.



Sunday, August 22, 1971

A pretty good day. Done regular work. In p.m. went down to Betty’s for a cookout. Sue and Tom called in PM, also Fern and Lloyd. Lila had a shock. She is in NCM Hospital.


No comments:

Post a Comment