The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

September 4 - 7, 1971 Billie Working at McSherry's


Saturday, September 4, 1971 HOT and very humid


It was a very hot and humid day. Bill worked at Lloyd’s to help him put up top like ours, over his porch. Walt helped Cliff in p.m. Billie looked for work. He may go over to McSherry’s for a while. Billie and I called at Betty’s a little while. Kim is some better.



Sunday, September 5, 1971

Still hot and muggy. I done regular work. Bill over to Es and Cliff’s. Today Bill and Cliff with Tom helped to put the wall up under their house. Billie D helped a little. Es had a cookout for supper. Sue and family, Betty and family and me. Fern not feeling well today. Billie and I called there.



Monday, September 6, 1971 Jeff came home from Michigan

Rain. Bill worked at Jean’s. I did regular work. Had Zak during the day. Walt and Betty over to Es and Cliff’s, they worked on the wall. Walt sick today with headache. Billie went to see a man about a job. It is a new business coming into town. I did a dite of cooking. Es, Cliff and Bill called. Fern has had spots on her leg. A call from Dorothea, Jeff comes home tonight.



Tuesday, September 7, 1971 Haircuts, Billie working

Kind of cloudy today. Jeff began school today. He started junior high seventh grade. I helped Betty today. In p.m. she took me to town. Carmen and Kim excited about going to school. Bill worked at Jean’s today. Billie began to work at McSherry’s Nursery at Conway, late getting home tonight. Fern, L called in evening. Carmen and Kim got haircuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment