The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, June 17, 2019

August 3 - 6, 1971


Tuesday, August 3, 1971 A messy day

Another one of those cloudy, hot, sticky, showery days. Bill worked at Jean’s for just a little while because of the weather. I done regular work and made a pie. Esther and Betty called. Bill worked on his porch some. I went to town with Betty. Fern and Lloyd called in evening.



Wednesday, August 4, 1971

It was cloudy, rain and showery. Bill didn’t work at Jean’s. He finished the porch.



Thursday, August 5, 1971

Clear, cool and windy. I went to Norway with Betty and to town. I done a little washing. We called at Esther’s to see the trailer. They have a little dachshund puppy. Bill worked at Jean’s again today.





Friday, August 6, 1971 $50 at Jean’s

More muggy today. Sunny. I picked some beans at Betty’s. I picked my peas. Zak here and had his nap here. Dorothea here today. She had been over to Ruth Hatch’s camp lot with Joy, Ronald and their families. Also Ruth and her girls. Es and Cliff called in evening. Es took me to town. Jean and Stan called to see the porch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment