The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

September 16 - 19, 1970


Wednesday, September 16, 1970 Cloudy and showers

I done regular work. Down to Betty’s to babysit while Betty helped Esther move some things. I came home in p.m. and cooked etc. Billie Deming is going to stay up here until they move to the trailer.



Thursday, September 17, 1970

A very nice day, up early. Defrosted my refrigerator, done up regular work. Down to Betty’s while she took Esther to town and up to her trailer. Susan and Vince up with Es today. Their first visit to the trailer. Betty, Kim, Zak and I to Westbrook, called at Dorothea’s. On to Zayre’s and got her packages out of layaway. Billie here tonight. Lloyd home sick with his cold, same as many are having.



Friday, September 18, 1970 RAIN

It began to rain in the night. Betty took Es over to trailer. She and kids called. Billie Deming here tonight. Es and I to town tonight. Called at Susan’s.



Saturday, September 19, 1970

A nice day, I baked beans, made rolls and beans. Susan and Vince up to Es, to the trailer. Es and Cliff and Fern down to Susan’s for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment