The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, March 8, 2019

July 7 - 10, 1970


Tuesday, July 7, 1970 Fair and Sunny

I ironed. Also washed a few things. Betty and kids came up. I was down there in p.m. Billie mowing hay for Lawrence.



Wednesday, July 8, 1970

A nice hot day. I done up my work. Betty mowed all of her lawns. Did her trimming. I went down to Betty’s in p.m. Called at Aunt Ava’s in evening. Also late p.m. She is weak, depressed and unhappy. Nola and Jeff called and Hortons in evening. Billie haying for Lawrence. Forrest Prescott called, Dorothy is better.



Thursday, July 9, 1970 HOT

A very hot humid day, showers in p.m. Betty, kids and I went down to the new Columbia Market in Raymond. Betty did her grocery shopping. We saw Dorothea and Mary up to Sebago Lake and kids all were swimming. Called at Aunt Ava’s. She is still quite weak. Billie worked for Lawrence haying.



Friday, July 10, 1970

Foggy in a.m. Cleared. Betty and Walt got started at about 9 AM for Walt’s fathers. I went down and brought the kids up here. Billie’s car went to pieces today, a expensive motor job has got to be done on it Rudy told him. I didn’t go to town tonight. Bill and I stayed at Betty’s with the kids. Bill hurt his arm today while at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment