The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, March 1, 2019

June 11 - 14, 1970


Thursday, June 11, 1970 HOT

Another awful hot day. I done up my regular work. Done my living room closet, that is took care of winter jackets etc. and picked over a few boxes. Betty mowed her lawns, went to town. I had Zak and Kim for a while. Very hot and humid. Betty and I called at Aunt Ava’s in evening, also Delores.



Friday, June 12, 1970 Cooler, Aunt Ava took her test and passed

Much cooler today. I done regular work, washed, did a dite of ironing. Made a hamburger delicious for supper. Aunt Ava here. She took her test for her drivers license, passed. Betty and I called at Ferns after supper. Got a note from Esther today. She and Billie are coming next Tuesday.



Saturday, June 13, 1970

Cold. A cold breeze all day. Bill mowed lawns. I done my work up, down town. Billie worked for Lawrence mowing over to Ada Merrill’s farm. He has a bad cold and was sick when he got home. Walt put a pane of glass in window.



Sunday, June 14, 1970 Warmer

Another nice sunny day. Still very dry and no rain. They worked outside. Bill cultivated garden for first time. Billie did lawn trimming. Down to Betty’s, they had ice cream, cake for Lloyd’s birthday. Billie feeling better.






No comments:

Post a Comment