The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, March 2, 2019

June 15 - 17, 1970 Esther and Billie Deming Arrive and Carmen's Last Day of School


Monday, June 15, 1970 Kimmy got haircut, hair set.

A nice sunny day. I washed, cleaned up the house (general). Down to Betty’s. We went to town. Came home, got supper and cooked a roast of pork for supper and had enough for supper tomorrow night. I went over to June’s, got my hair set. Kim got hers cut. She looked cute, you wouldn’t know her.



Tuesday, June 16, 1970 Esther and Bill came, last day of Carmen’s school

A beautiful day. Up early, did a dite of washing, regular work. Rushed around, got down to Betty’s as early as I could. Minnie called here. The kids, Kim and Zak, Betty and I went to Dorothea’s. We visited with her then went to Sears, Roebuck. I bought a pair of corselets. Then to the Greyhound bus terminal and we waited for that 2:30 bus to come. Jeff was with us. He was so good. We enjoyed him very much. At 2:30 PM sharp Es and Bill arrived. We was glad to see them. Carmen’s last day of school, she brought her papers home. She passed to 2nd grade.



Wednesday, June 17, 1970

Partly cloudy but no rain. A mild day. Betty and kids came up early in a.m. for a little while. I did regular work, made a pie, did a dite of washing. Billie Deming mowed Betty’s lawns. I called at Betty’s. They cleaned their barn and sheep pen. Walt harrowed his garden after supper. Carmen’s vacation began today.





No comments:

Post a Comment