The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

August 20 - 23, 1970

Thursday, August 20, 1970 cloudy, Eyes tested

I went to town with Betty to do her shopping. Also took Susan, she did hers. I had my eyes tested today, first time for five years. Susan talked with her mother last night. They leave OHIO August 30 for Maine to live.



Friday, August 21, 1970

Betty, Susan and I all went shopping tonight after supper. I did regular work, down to Betty’s.



Walt and Blackie


Saturday, August 22, 1970

Up early this morning. Bill, Billie and I down to Westbrook to Dave and Dorothea’s. Bill and Billie helped Dave fix his well. I hope they don’t have any more trouble with it. We had Kentucky Fried Chicken for supper, very good. I baked beans today, first time for about four weeks. Fern up.



Sunday, August 23, 1970 RAIN

Didn’t get up too early. Carlton’s folks came yesterday. We got a nice rain today after a very long drought.


No comments:

Post a Comment