The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, March 31, 2019

October 6 - 9,1970


Tuesday, October 6, 1970

A beautiful day, real mild. I went down to Betty’s. She and I and Mr. Horton worked in her garden all day. A great relief to know it is all done. I came home, watched a program, got supper etc. Kim up for supper.



Wednesday, October 7, 1970 Carmen haircut, mine set

I went down to Betty’s to stay with Zak while she took Kim to school. Es downtown with her. Their car is not working good. They didn’t get deep-freeze today. Carmen up for supper, she and I over to June’s after supper. She had her hair cut.



Thursday, October 8, 1970 KITTEN CAME HOME

A very nice day. Up early, got ready, went down to Dorothea’s with Betty. She met Walt and they went looking for a new car. Gone all day. Tonight the kitten came home, found him down to Freddie Potters. Poor little tyke. They all were so glad to see him home. I called at Ferns. Es, Cliff down there for oyster stew supper. I called at Aunt Ava’s.




Friday, October 9, 1970 HOT, very hot

A beautiful day. I went down to stay with Zak and did some washing. Kim to school. I came home, hung my clothes out. Went away with Es to see the pretty leaves. Susan and Vince went too. Came home, cleaned the house, washed floors, defrosted refrigerator. Kim up. Billie home today, day off to go to the fair. Belts came today for lawnmower. Milan, Betty came about 5:30 PM. Es, Billie D, and me down town to shop. Fern, Lloyd, Es, Cliff, Billie and Walt, Betty and kids called. Betty and family down to Susan’s for supper. Very hot day. Billie and Billie played cards. Milan and Betty staying at Es and Cliffs.


No comments:

Post a Comment