The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

September 6 - 10, 1960 Betty Begins Senior Year in High School



Tuesday, September 6, 1960

Another nice day. I ironed, picked beans etc. Betty to town and got her clothes for school.



Wednesday, September 7, 1960

School began today. A very nice day, very hot. Betty began her last year of school. She was down to Rowena’s all night. I cleaned up the house. Betty’s Last Year of SCHOOL. We are so glad. I hope she will have a nice happy future.



Thursday, September 8, 1960 HOT

It was such a hot day all day. I washed, cleaned up the bedrooms and stairs. Betty came home. Rowena and Linda Berry came with her. They studied and we all saw “Echo” in the sky. Rowena got hurt today at school.



Friday, September 9, 1960 HOT

So hot today all day. I done up the work. Lloyd and I picked shell beans. We canned them, also canned tomatoes. I ironed. Betty home early from school. She went downtown in evening. Betty, Bill and I over to Hio to see about a stove for the kitchen.



Saturday, September 10, 1960

Hot in a.m. Cold in later day. I cooked, churned, washed kitchen floor etc. in p.m. Bill worked over to Jim's. Billie and I over to Harrison. I done some shopping for Betty and myself. I went to Jim's TV store to see about a radio for Mama. Betty done her studying. In evening Betty downtown. Kay came home with her. I went downtown with Bill and Betty in a 1954 Plymouth. Ernest Holden brought over here for Bill to try out. We need rain. to see about a stove for the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment