The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

July 7 - 11, 1960



Thursday, July 7, 1960

Another nice day after a little cloudiness this a.m. Billie did some chores at the barn he wanted to get done etc. I washed and cleaned up all the bedrooms.



Friday, July 8, 1960

A very nice day. Much warmer. I ironed, cleaned up the downstairs. Also I washed the kitchen furniture and floor and back porch floor. In p.m. Billie and I went down to Dawn and George’s. They have a very cute place. When we came home we came through South Bridgton. A nice ride. Gloria Arsenault came up tonight from Portland for the weekend.



Saturday, July 9, 1960

A very nice day. Billie and I to town in a.m. Billie and Gloria downtown. I cooked. Bill painted some more of barn roof. In p.m. and evening Gloria downtown. Betty didn’t come home today.



Sunday, July 10, 1960

A nice day, hot. I took care of Debbie today while they all took a trip up into the mountains. Fern, Lloyd, Kennie, Dot and Bob’s family called. Bill finished the barn roofs today. Betty came home from Dawn’s today.


Debbie Wolff



Monday, July 11, 1960 Letter from ADAIR’s and a picture of Jeff

A very hot day. I washed, clothes dried good. Judy’s calf went today. Lawrence brought another one. Had thundershowers. Today we got a very cute picture of JEFFREY D. ADAIR. Also a nice letter. The Democratic convention began tonight. We sat up till 11 PM.



No comments:

Post a Comment