The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, August 8, 2016

June 28 - July 1, 1960

It's a beautiful home...says Nanny




Tuesday, June 28, 1960 Hot Hot

A very hot day. I done the dining room floor today, varnished it. It looks very good. Evelyn Ridlon and Gail called. We called on Kennard and Dolores in evening. Got lassies insurance. Bill varnished the living room rug tonight.



Wednesday, June 29, 1960

Another nice day. I washed windows in the kitchen. Cooked a chicken, made a cake etc. Betty home tonight. Had the lambs out etc.



Thursday, June 30, 1960 MIKE called

Another nice day. Had showers in p.m. I went to the opening of the National Store with Fern and Lloyd. A very nice store on Portland Street. Yes, MIKE came up today to see Betty. In evening they went to the movies up to the restaurant. She sure is happy. I washed, cleaned up all the bedrooms. Defrosted refrigerator. George Keith’s wife died today. George K is Bills (?) cousin.


Pets Collection Awkwardstyles



Friday, July 1, 1960

I didn’t have much to do today. Dawn and her mother called. They with Betty went up to Rado’s and got some strawberries. In late p.m. Bill and I to town.


No comments:

Post a Comment