The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, August 7, 2016

June 24 - 27, 1960



Friday, June 24, 1960  TORNADO, HAIR Done tonight

Rain today. Tornado threats in Southern New England. In evening and late night got awful thundershowers. Joy and Debbie here today. Blanche here in afternoon. Bill and I to town after supper. In evening Billie took me over to get my permanent. When we came home there was an awful thunder shower. And as we rode by an elm tree it was struck by lightning. It was awful.



Saturday, June 25, 1960

It had cleared off today yet it was cloudy and windy most all day. I cooked. Bill laid a nice new rug in the downstairs bedroom. It is very pretty and looks so nice. He and I picked some berries up to Rado's tonight. Kennie and Dot called this p.m. Betty up helping Dawn today.




Sunday, June 26, 1960 Dawn gone today for good

A very nice day. Mowed all the lawns. In p.m. Bob’s folks came over, we had a good cookout. Made homemade ice cream, has strawberry shortcake. Debbie was very cute. All had a good time. Kennie, Dot came up. Also Fern and Lloyd. Helen and Kay called. Kay stayed up. She and Betty downtown in evening. Dawn and George gone today for good. She is a very good person. Was a wonderful neighbor. She done so much for Betty. Lloyd gave us another croquet set. Lloyd, Buddy, Joy, Kay, Betty and I played.





Monday, June 27, 1960 Hot Hot

I did my washing and ironing. Helen Fleck and Kay called in p.m. Betty up to Irene’s working.

No comments:

Post a Comment