The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, August 15, 2016

July 31 - August 3, 1960

Oswell Luck with Cindy




Sunday, July 31, 1960

Nice clear day after the awful storm of yesterday. Been awful busy all day and wound up down to Fern and Lloyd’s with a cookout. Bill, Billie, Betty, Norma and I. Mama and Dr. Nash home. Sara, Hazel, Rosemary and Cindy all called. Also Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis, Kennie and Dot. Betty and Norma done the lawns. Bill worked over to Jim’s today.



Monday, August 1, 1960

A nice day. I washed, picked some peas. Picked some string beans also.


Tuesday, August 2, 1960

Today I picked peas and string beans for freezing. Also canned some string beans. Aunt Ava over this p.m. Also Dawn and Mabel. Betty down town with Dawn. Norma down to Lillian Allen’s today.



Wednesday, August 3, 1960

A hot day. Lloyd, Dot and I went to the Lovell Plains and got some blueberries. In p.m. I picked string beans. Churned. Made a cake. Betty and Norma to town in p.m. and again in evening. Blanche and Bob, Kennie and Dot here in evening. Got my ironing done today.

No comments:

Post a Comment