The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, August 6, 2016

June 19 - 23, 1960



Sunday, June 19, 1960

A very nice day. Bill used Bobby’s rototiller on his garden. We went up to Rado’s and got some strawberry plants and set them out. Also we planted the shell beans. Ilan, Bobby down here this forenoon. Walked out into the kitchen this morning. Porch still not dry. Bill, Betty and I up to Rado’s and got some strawberry plants. Also Betty picked some berries while we were up there.



Monday, June 20, 1960

A fair day. A little on the cool side in p.m. In a.m. I went to town with Aunt Ava. In p.m. I washed. Betty up to Dawn’s all day. In evening she went to town. Bill and Bill got the door on the hinges tonight down in the barn. Rowena came up here tonight.


awesome cat toys at poshfeline.com


Tuesday, June 21, 1960

A fair day except it is windy and too cool to open up the doors. Warmer in evening or after supper. Bill and Billie finished the new door. Betty and Rowena up to Dawn’s all day. Betty made pizzas today. I mailed Esther’s letter. I ironed.



Wednesday, June 22, 1960

A nice day. I done up regular work. Went upstairs in the shed chamber and sprayed boxes and trunks etc. Swept it up. Betty gone all day and down to Rowena’s all night. Kennard called, Art Ward’s family and Aunt Ava came over and brought over three boxes strawberries. Joy, Blanche and Debbie here this p.m.



Thursday, June 23, 1960

A good day. I cleaned up the upstairs and the downstairs bedrooms. Also washed floors upstairs. In a.m. I washed. Betty not here today. She has done a lot of things this spring helping out.

No comments:

Post a Comment