The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, August 5, 2016

June 14 - 18, 1960



Tuesday, June 14, 1960

A cloudy day. Betty and Linda here all day. I ironed. Done up the housework. In evening Bill and I down to cemetery and Bill took his insurance down to Dr. Skillin.



Wednesday, June 15, 1960

RAIN RAIN hard. I washed. Betty up in bed all day reading, relaxing etc. Had a good supper tonight.



Thursday, June 16, 1960

Cleared off this a.m., quite hot. I ironed. Betty gone all day as usual and tonight to a shower. We ate on the porch tonight for the first time. Began to use Judy’s milk today. Betty got her rank card. She is a senior now.

So Well Unscented Dog shampoo


Friday, June 17, 1960 HOT

A very hot day. I have been busy as a parch pea in a hot skillet. Washed, cooked, done up the work, cleaned up the downstairs, swept, dusted etc. Got supper, to town. Blanche and the family called. Betty down to Rowena’s all day. Dawn and George called this evening. They brought a bureau up. Betty has it in her room. Barbara and Wesley called this a.m. We separated the milk for the first time this morning.



Saturday, June 18, 1960

A nice day. We had showers, it came off cooler. In a.m. I got the kitchen cleaned and out for Bill to paint the floor. He did the kitchen. Betty did the porch. In p.m. Bill, Betty and I went over to Don Chadbourne’s and got a typewriter for Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment