The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, August 19, 2016

August 17 - 20, 1960



Wednesday, August 17, 1960

Another beautiful day. Susan didn’t get up till late. I picked peas. Susan and I took them to Ferns. Billie came back with us for the p.m. Susan back down to Ferns tonight. Betty gone all day and tonight. I don’t like to have her go so much.



Thursday, August 18, 1960

A very nice day. I washed, ironed, cooked, picked peas. Susan came back and we churned in p.m. In evening Susan and I babysat at Ferns while she and Es went to a shower. Bill worked at Jim’s. He brought us home. Betty out with Mike.


Friday, August 19, 1960

Cloudy in early a.m. Cleared off good. Esther and children here all day and to supper. We had a chicken dinner. In evening Bill, Susan and I to town. Betty worked at Smith’s today. She was out in evening with David and Mike. That is they went to Portland and got Gloria. She stayed here tonight. Es, kids and I called at Dolores’s today. Rain tonight. Bill, Bea and Raymond called.



Saturday, August 20, 1960

Cloudy in early a.m. Cleared in late a.m. Betty and Gloria got up late, went to town. Billie and I mowed some lawns. Betty and Gloria out with David and Mike. Had a shower. Susan here tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment