The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 18, 2016

March 23 - 27, 1960



Wednesday, March 23, 1960

I did the ironing, it was a cold windy day. Billie finished work for Lawrence. Mama felt a little better today. Dawn and Betty called. Kennie and Dot here in late p.m.



Thursday, March 24, 1960

A cloudy day, part of the day, not very warm. I cooked in a.m. In p.m. Jean came up for afternoon and supper. She had a good time. Mama not at all good today.



Friday, March 25, 1960 Letter from Dorothea, Den and Jeff

Cold and windy all day. I washed. Kennard called in p.m. Dot, Lorraine and Wanda Jean here in a.m. In evening I did the ironing. Ava Grover called and her son Merle called. Betty up to Dawn’s for supper and evening. Mama up today.

Jeff, Dorothea visit Grandma (and Great Grandma) Crook in Scotland




Saturday, March 26, 1960 8 Below here

A cold cold cold morning. It was eight below here, in some places 12, 18 and 20 below. Warmed up during the day. Betty came home, here this morning and brought a cute puppy. Kennie and Dot up. Billie and I to town in a.m. Mama better and up.



Sunday, March 27, 1960

Cloudy. I done up the work. Dot, Kennie called and Fern and Lloyd. Mama had her clothes on today. Betty took her puppy back. Bill wouldn’t let her keep it. She felt so bad. She loved it so much and wanted to keep it so bad. I felt so sorry. She is so unhappy about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment