The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 4, 2016

January 19 - 23, 1960



Tuesday, January 19, 1960

Snowing this morning. It has snowed most of the day. I got the clothes in and ironed. We had a big one to do. Raymond, Bobby, Kennard called also Georgette True came home with Betty. Betty up there this evening. Billie and I with Jeffrey went to town after supper. Billie and Bobby didn’t work. Jeff was kind of pale looking from being sick yesterday.



Wednesday, January 20, 1960

Very windy last night. Some wind today. Billie and Bobby in the woods. Dorothea sewed and mended. Jeffrey sick today. I did a little cooking. Dorothea over to Barbs tonight. Betty up to Dawn’s.



Thursday, January 21, 1960

Cloudy day. We didn’t do very much today. Kennie, Dot, Lorraine and Wanda Jean came up. In p.m. Dorothea, Jeff and I called at Aunt Ava’s, Uncle Lewis’s and at Ferns. Jeff seemed pretty good. Linda Berry up here tonight. She and Betty did their studying together. In evening Bill up to Ilan’s. Billie paid some bills today.



Friday, January 22, 1960

A cloudy day. I washed. Dorothea and Jeff downtown with the Autio family. Jeff quite fussy. In late p.m. I churned. Minnie, Randy and Ilan came down. In evening Betty to the movies and Dorothea over to Barbs. Dorothea’s pictures came today. Dorothea called Dennis today on a business talk. Dorothea and Jeff downtown in p.m, got Billie Deming’s birthday cards off. Billie bought two or a pair of bull cows of Elmer Fogg, came this noon.



Saturday, January 23, 1960

Dorothea, Jeff and I downtown. Bill worked in the woods in p.m. with Bobby and Billie. I done a little cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment